Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Answer to the question: Do 'rent' and 'borrow' have the same meaning in the same context or situation?

No they don't. To make it more complicated, there is a third word with almost the same meaning and it's 'hire'.


1. BORROW is usually free of charge. 
For example: I borrow the pen of Sandy. She won't want me to pay her any money for that.


2. HIRE is quiet the same as borrow, but I pay money. 
For example: I hired a car at AVIS to drive to LA. In this sentence hire is used as a synonym to rent. The British use hire, and the Americans use rent in the example above. 
But I can also say to hire more staff. In this sentence hire is uses as a synonym to employ. That's the common usage of 'to hire sb.' in the U.S.


3. We already saw, that RENT has the same meaning as hire. You can use rent as a verb or noun. 
For example: I rent (v) the flat of Sandy. The amount of rent (n) I pay her is $ 500 a month.


Coni

No comments:

Post a Comment