Monday, July 23, 2012

Homework: Ask one question in this post

Please ask ONE question you have about anything that you would like clarification on in English. It can be grammar or vocabulary related but does not have to be. Please put your name after your question to get credit for the post.

example:
1: what is the difference between 'anyone' and 'someone'? 
Peter

2. How do we use 'which', 'that' and 'what' in an attributive clause?
Kate


3. I want to know the difference between "If I had won the lottery, I would be rich." and "If I had won the lottery, I would have been rich.". Furthermore, which one is the correct expression? Can I use both sentences?
Floria

4. I'm not sure with using "as long as" in sentence. Could you give me some examples?
Ondrej


5. I want to know whether 'subjunctive future' really exists or not.
Raven


6.Here is a sentence that I usually met in an English exam when I was in senior high. Now I am still feel confused about it although I have known its answer.
**It's on 1st Sept ____student go back to school every year
A.when    B that     C who    D what
The answer should be B, I know "It's……that……"is a special sentence form,but i don't think if there is anything wrong if I choose A~So why can't I use "when", but have to use "that"?
by Emily


7. What is the difference between 'between' and 'among'?
Ethan


8. I am wondering the differences among 'sometime', 'some time' and  'sometimes'.   by Autumn

9. I would like to know the difference between "maybe" and "may be" and "everyday" and "every day". How do we use them in the sentence? - Fon


10. I've got some problems with the past tenses. Can we compare all of them and take a look at when you have to use which one of them? - Coni


11. Do the ' rent' and 'borrow' have a same meaning in same context or situation?
- by Sandy

12.I would like to know how do we use"which", i mean when does "which" refers to a sentence or   refers to a unique word?
--Yawen&Sandra


13. When I go store just for looking, the clerk always says like, "Is everything alright?" or "How are you doing?". When I heard that I always little embarrassed, because I don't need their help, I just want to look around the store. 
 In that situation, what is the best respond to them?
 -Andrianne

14. There are so many beggars on the road or even the BART station. Every time when I saw a beggar, I usually try to walk on a another road. But in some cases, I just couldn't avoid passing in front of them. What should I do or say if they beg money from me?
--Janice

15.I would like to learn some structures and sentences that are effective if  i want to emphasize something that is important in the speech. 
-Luo

16. I learnd a saying: '' Don't quote on me.'' which means i'm not sure, if i'm wrong don't balme it on me.  Do people in USA really use this in their communication?
-Yvonne

17.  In the middle of the sentense, after using  ''...'' , should we use Capitle letters? Also, inside ''...'', do we need to use Capitle letters?
-Yvonne

18. Sometimes we use '-est', but sometimes we just add a 'most' in front of the superlative adjective. And for the word 'fast', we use 'the fastest' to represent the superlative adjective, while the word 'beautiful' is represented by 'the most beautiful'. I would like to know when to use '-est' or 'most'.
- James

3 comments:

  1. 1. Anyone indicates unspecific person, But someone indicate specific person. Anyone is used in a negative sentence and an interrogative sentence, But someone is used in a an affirmative sentence (By.Sandy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6. I heard that you can use the phrase "it is ~ that " for emphasize the thing. So in your example sentence, 1st Sept is emphasized. I think it is okay to use 'when' instead of 'that' but it is better to use 'that' when you want to give more stress on it. (By Andrianne)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15.The passive voice is used when focusing on the person or thing affected by an action. You could say 'the reading is expected to finish tomorrow'.Also, sentences introduced by 'It is' or 'It was' are often used to emphasize a specific subject or object.Eg: It was i who solved the problem.
    (By Yawen)

    ReplyDelete